Monday, January 12, 2009

dj glenn ong shares his success story on jobsdb campus


Versatile. Engaging. Shocking… but never boring. Talented DJ, Glenn Ong, has been spicing up our Singapore airwaves for the last 14 years, and he’s constantly keeping it real by re-inventing himself all the time.


You could even say that Glenn is everywhere you go these days… be it on TV or gracing the cover of a magazine looking smart in a suit with his beautiful wife Jamie. Nevertheless, Glenn always maintains his mysterious charm and enigmatic presence with his signature shades on.
Glenn currently hosts ‘The Morning Express’ on Class 95 FM with The Flying Dutchman (THE FD) aka Mark Van Cuylenberg, and JobsDB Campus chats with Glenn to find out more about his road to success.


Glenn, what inspired you to become a DJ (Disc Jockey)?
I’ve always wanted to be a DJ since I was young, and I would often make my own recordings on cassette tapes. When my family members heard some of the tapes, they felt that I had DJ potential and encouraged me to take it further. So that’s when I sent in a demo tape to Lucy Leong, who was the head of SBC radio. To my surprise, she called me in for a chat and wanted to give me a shot at being a DJ. However, I was only in Secondary 4 at the time, so she asked me to apply again in 2 years.


Two years later, I applied again and this time it was all good. Lucy even enrolled me in a 2 week radio course, where I received professional speech training from an Australian teacher. It was great and really helped me with my confidence and presenting techniques. Then my NS (National Service) call-up had to come along and disrupt my plans again – I was posted to a Combat unit and therefore could not be exempted to join the Forces 55 army radio show as a DJ. By the time I finished NS two and a half years later, there were no more openings at the radio station.


Click to read the full interview with Glenn Ong